Think outside the....borders.

Monday, May 10, 2010


It's not an uncommon thing to know that sometimes I tend to favor bands that hail from lands other than our own. The "lands" that I speak of most of the time, refer to those of the United Kingdom. There's something different about the way they do music. Over there music is held to a higher standard and this tends to weed out the bands that may just not be up to the right level yet (not as many garage and/or basement bands over there). So when one does finally pop out and make its way across the water, not only are they incredible, but their music is undeniably unique.

And it seems to be a common theme that lately the bands I've been introduced to and fall in love with are from this same "land." A few of which are (at least at this moment) totally worth introducing to you. And while they may not be new on the scene, they are to me and hopefully to you:

First is Doves. Their song "Jetstream" came up on my last.fm recommended radio. As the song grew in intensity so did my excitement. The song is about a year old. And they only have live versions of a video, which don't do it justice (trust me!). So PLEASE go to their MySpace, put on some headphones and blast this one out: www.myspace.com/dovesmyspace

Doves website - www.doves.net/

Next is Elbow. I was introduced to them by means of House. Well the trailer for Season 6 of House to be exact. But I was so intrigued, that I YouTube'd it, tracked down lyrics and researched the song. This is what I found:



Elbow website - www.elbow.co.uk/
MySpace - www.myspace.com/elbowmusic

Another TOTALLY worth-mention: People In Planes. Recommended by fellow music lover (and musician) Bo-Diddley. Their album As Far As The Eye Can See and their recent album Beyond The Horizon are two completely different sets of music. But I believe they are two completely genius compositions of sounds. Of the three this would be the band you're more likely to be able to catch on the road (though at the moment, they're only overseas =\). And when this song drops in, just IMAGINE the rockness that would ensue live:



PIP website -
www.peopleinplanes.com
MySpace - www.myspace.com/peopleinplanes


ENJOY!!

-Rach

Helping you find your background music
. \m/(>.<)\m/

0 comments: